• Law Society of BC
• Fraser Valley Bar Association
• Canadian Bar Association
• Trial Lawyers Association
• CAFA, Canadian Association of Farm Advisors
Trial lawyer Surrey
Duncan Magnus is a Trial Lawyer. He is passionate about advocating on behalf of his clients, whether in court, arbitration or in mediation. Duncan’s practice focuses on litigation and dispute resolution of all kinds. Duncan has handled cases in estate litigation, shareholder disputes, personal injury, commercial litigation (including construction and builders’ liens, real estate and contractual disputes, collections, foreclosures, administrative law and judicial review), employment and wrongful dismissal.
When asked why he is a lawyer, Duncan has the following to say about his motivation of being an advocate...
I was born with a cleft palate, which meant that I did not have the ability to speak until a number of surgeries occurred. I had those surgeries as a young child. When I was 4 years old, I was put into school on the advice of my doctor, as it would force me to speak. While I had the physical ability to speak it was a learning process for me and I was very quiet and reserved. Essentially, I did not have a voice. I have three brothers, one of whom is named Brad, who has Down’s syndrome. He has trouble communicating and needed help in the school system. When I was in high school, I became involved with helping him. I found strength and purpose in doing this. I found my voice advocating on his behalf taking up his cause and helping him. This passion to help others and to advocate on their behalf has continued and shaped my life. Now I help others by advocating on behalf of them – giving them a voice and guiding them through their problems.
Duncan has represented clients at all levels of court in British Columbia (as well as Federal Court) in trials, hearings and appeals. He also represents clients at arbitration and mediation. He has also represented clients at a number of tribunals and administrative hearings.
Duncan is an elected member of the CBABC Provincial Council. He is on the Board of Directors for Langley for the Langley Children’s Society. He is the former President of Big Brothers and Big Sisters and of the Fraser Valley Bar Association He has volunteered for Canadian Down’s Syndrome Society, the Variety Club; and the British Columbia Association for Community Living. He has also lectured on issues relating to Shareholder disputes, winding up businesses, employment law and employment standards.
Prior to moving to Langley, Duncan was raised on a family farm on Salt Spring Island, BC, and managed it part-time for over a decade. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 1995, and his Bachelor of Laws in 2000 both from the University of Victoria.
Duncan lives in Langley with his wife and two daughters who occupy his free time. Duncan also is an avid runner, enjoying marathons.
- Kirkwood (Re), 2016 BCSC 673 (CanLII) — 2016-04-18
- Watson v. Charlton, 2016 BCSC 664 (CanLII)— 2016-04-15
- Harrad v. Varghese, 2016 BCSC 527 (CanLII) — 2016-03-24
- British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority v. Heathcote, 2016 BCSC 140 (CanLII) — 2016-01-07
- Sears v. Counsell, 2015 BCSC 1892 (CanLII) — 2015-09-04
- Unger v. Unger, 2015 BCSC 1408 (CanLII) — 2015-08-13
- JTT Electronics Ltd. v. Farmer, 2014 BCSC 2413 (CanLII) — 2014-12-19
- Erv Parent Co Ltd v Coast Modular Manufacturing and Leasing Ltd et al BCSC 2013-09-24 PDF
- Farrer v. Farrer, 2013 BCSC 1088 (CanLII) — 2013-06-20
- Country Lumber v Coast Modular Installations Ltd et al 2013-05-30 PDF
- Keremelevski v. V.W.R. Capital Corporation, 2013 BCSC 612 (CanLII) — 2013-02-19
- Burg Properties Ltd. v. Economical Mutual Insurance Company, 2013 BCSC 209 (CanLII) — 2013-02-12
- Haptom v Pahl, 2013 BCSC 71 (CanLII) — 2013-01-18
- Transwest Helicopters Ltd v Leslea McEvoy, Chilliwack, April 20, 2012 (PDF only)
- Regina V Christopher Owen McCoy, March 2, 2012, Surrey Provincial Court, 179775-2KC (PDF Only)
- Versatile Mortgage Corp. v. Hemmingson, 2010 BCSC 1361 (CanLII) — 2010-09-28
- WCAT-2010-02543 (Re), 2010 CanLII 75630 (BC WCAT)
- WCAT-2010-02544 (Re), 2010 CanLII 75522 (BC WCAT) — 2010-09-22
- Inprotect Systems Inc. v. Davies, 2010 BCSC 1287 (CanLII) — 2010-08-12
- Azta Mgmt. Corp. v. Croft Agencies, 2010 BCSC 1191 (CanLII) — 2010-03-31
- Murray v. Langley (Township), 2010 BCSC 102 (CanLII) — 2010-01-27
- Versatile Mortgage Corp. v. Hemmingson, 2009 BCSC 64 (CanLII) — 2009-01-26
- R. v. Elliott, 2009 BCPC 42 (CanLII) — 2009-01-23
- Rayner v Rayner et al. May 30, 2008 New Westminster, S109066 Madam Justice Wedge (PDF)
- BCSPCA v. Baker, 2008 BCSC 947 (CanLII) — 2008-08-28
- Amos Investments Ltd. v. Minou Enterprises Ltd., 2008 BCSC 332 (CanLII) — 2008-03-20
- Chatwin v. SPCA, 2008 BCSC 796 (CanLII) — 2008-03-04
- BCSPCA v. Baker, 2007 BCSC 1717 (CanLII) — 2007-11-30
- Zappala v. Mann, 2007 BCSC 1699 (CanLII) — 2007-11-26
- Walker et al v. Betts et al, 2006 BCSC 1096 (CanLII) — 2006-07-14
- Walker v. Betts, 2006 BCSC 612 (CanLII) — 2006-04-19
- Walker et al. v. Betts et al., 2006 BCSC 128 (CanLII) — 2006-01-26
- Trevitt v. Blanche Equipment Rentals Ltd., 2006 BCSC 94 (CanLII) — 2006-01-18
- Wheeler v. Way-Tech, 2003 BCPC 412 (CanLII) — 2003-11-13